Monday 13 April 2015

For Croatians and Canadians: two lands in a nutshell


Don't go to Canada, they said.
It's cold there, they said.

Well, they were right.
I'm freezing my ass here instead of spending some quality time on a beach, wearing only flip flops and a bathing suit.

Home Sweet Home
I come from Croatia - a small Mediterranean country where we have mild winters, long and beautiful springs and falls and hot summers. For over four years I lived on the coastline - in a small place where you go everywhere by foot and the sea is right underneath your apartment - so you can smell the salt while standing on a balcony, as well as glorious scents of rosemary, lavender and pines.

Here, I can mostly smell McDonald's and fuel (mainly because I eat a lot of MCD and I worked at the motorcycle shop.

HOWEVER (and this is a big "however"), Toronto is awesome.

First of all, it's big. Toronto itself has about the same amount of people as my home country.
And those people are great - they're good-hearted, honest and hardworking. They're kind.
Sometimes, too kind.
Here's an example: I'm at my workplace, middle of spring, I got a crowded showroom and zillion of customers waiting to be served (by me), and the phone doesn't stop ringing (for me). And every time it's like:

Guy: "Good morning, how are you today?"
ME: "I'm good today, thank you, how are you?"  (to be polite, of course)
Guy: "I'm very good, thank you for asking."

------PAUSE----- (my blood pressure is rising)

ME: "How can I help you, sir?"  Just cut to the chase! And my nerves are so thin sometimes....

But then again, how can you blame him? It's nice after all. It's how people SHOULD talk. It's my fault I'm not used to it, because I come from a country where yelling at customers is a sales strategy.

Park in winter & Lake Ontario
The second, and let me be clear on this one: the winter in Toronto is not as tough as people think.  It's just long, and that can be frustrating sometimes. It's a lot colder than back home, but it's also a lot more beautiful. Because of the low temperatures, snow doesn't melt right away and stays white and crisp, therefore there's no mess on the streets. The lake gets frozen and there's plenty of places worth photographing during the cold months. The only thing that bothered me was the dry air during that period - I can't sleep or breathe without my humidifier, few wet towels hanging from the wall and huge amount of water on my heating thing, so my bedroom looks like a circus tent.

The city offers variety of things, and there is hardly anything that you can't find. Toronto is home to so many different nations and cultures, brought up together with no prejudices.
View to the west from the CN Tower

It's different - the things we're used to are different here. That's what it makes it so interesting.

People here eat meatballs on spaghetti. They generally don't like sauerkraut, they drink orange juice only in the morning, and they eat potatoes for breakfast. They eat Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice cream and chicken bacon. They have cooking oil in spray and powder eggs. There's no spice or ingredient you can't buy - the world wide variety of foods is undeniable.

Back home, we have stray cats and dogs on the street (in more than a year that I've been here, I haven't seen a stray once on the streets of Toronto). Here, you can see ducks and geese crossing the highway with the help of the police patrol, and squirrels fighting for a doughnut leftovers in parks. If you have a back yard, consider yourself lucky if you don't have to call wildlife patrol once a year to move the raccoons out of it (you're not allowed to touch them, capture them or god forbid harm or kill them). The sea gulls are the same as ours back home. I must say, it's weird tough, to hear them when there's no sea around. They should be called lake gulls.

Ducks and gees, scared racoons in our garbage containter and a squirrel
As a biker, I was struck with the driving policies - in my home country, it's perfectly normal to ride between the cars, especially while they're stopping for the traffic lights. It's not legal, but it's common. Here, it's very forbidden and nobody does it. But then again, here you're allowed to wear "beanie" helmets, whereas back home we wear full face ones.

Burn'em
It's kind of hard to seize that privilege, knowing that beanie really has no use. Seriously, come on. How can a beanie protect you when you fall off the bike at high speed? The fact that insurance rates (both for the bike and for you) are enormously high, probably has something to do with that.  But we do love a good burn.

Things are cheap, labour is expensive. Girls, you can buy an awesome pair or pumps for $60 and then pay the same amount to someone to put the rubber soles on them, so that you can actually wear them here, in the land of eternal ice. The same amount goes for sewing repairs, hair cutting, spa treatments (not the happy end ones, those are more pricey) and alike.

Ribfest 2014
Liquor can be bought at one place, and one place only: the holy LCBO (except for beer - you can buy it in a Beer Store). It kills me though, to stop in three different stores to get stuff - one for groceries, one for alcohol and one for smokes. Back home, one grocery store - and you got everything you need for a relaxing evening. Smokers: Canada is not the place for you. The only area where you can smoke is your home (if it's yours, and not rented), your car and while walking on the street (walking, not standing).

However, Canadians have all kinds of festivals, one of which is The Ribfest - a whole parade of meat to celebrate the glorious ribs, where you can eat, drink and even smoke (at certain marked points, outside the fence).

I can often hear people complaining about "Canadian administration". If you have never been to Croatia, you have no idea what you're talking about. Back home, our secretaries have secretaries and you'll be asked by clerk to provide the very same document that you're there to get, from another institution, so that this one can issue a new one, from his institution. And it won't be enough, you're ALWAYS one paper short. Our birth certificates are valid for 6 months only, even tho we're only born once. We pay taxes on taxes on taxes, like the usual 25% of original taxes is not already high enough. Buying and selling? Have fun. Public notary will suck life out of you as well as half of your monthly salary to verify a document. Here, you can get an affidavit from a local veterinarian or the neighborhood patrol cop.

Today is going to be great
Canada is simpler, easier and gives you more opportunity to make something, whether that's work, hobby, leisure or life.

Canadians don't bother themselves with stupid and unimportant things. They don't waste time and money to fool somebody or to divert from something. They mostly mind their own business and they work for themselves and their families. Sure, it's not perfect, but it never is. There's no country in the world that doesn't do something wrong. If you're a Canadian and you think I'm wrong about that, you should visit Croatia. It's an amazing country, probably the most beautiful in the world, but economically speaking, it's a country of absurd. Don't get me wrong, not everything is bad - there's plenty of opportunity there. But you have to be tough, lucky and with nerves of steel to succeed.

We should learn from Canada. There are things Canada can learn from my country as well. They can both set good and bad examples for different things. We should strive to get to the level of awareness that Canadians have and be less concerned about neighbor's greener grass, but work on our own lawn.

But who am I to say - I'm just having fun in another man's land. Taking photographs, observing and writing posts. I'll do that for as long as I can, before I decide to escape that badass Canadian winter and move to Hawaii.

My everyday view






3 comments:

  1. Hvala! Imalo bi se jos o cemu pisati.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baš lijepo pišeš, zašto ne staviš link na fb grupu?? Tamo su ljudi željni informacija o Kanadi.

    ReplyDelete